It’s that time of year again. Summer in Illinois, when the mercury rises in and your social calendar starts to fill up. Summer is a great time to plan more outings, whether you want to enjoy the great outdoors, get a taste of city life, or indulge in a little local culture. In your golden years, Beacon Hill believes you should make the most of summer’s golden days. If you’re not sure where to start, here are some ideas for great summer activities in the Lombard, Illinois area.
Summer Outdoor Activities for Seniors
One of the best parts of heading into summer is the promise of spending more time outside soaking up the sun and enjoying the warmer weather. Here are some festivals, events and other activities you won’t want to miss.
Summer Festivals and Special Events in Lombard and Surrounds
The Lombard Parks District offers incredible events and experiences downtown that you can enjoy on your own or with friends and family of all ages.
- If you’re a master angler itching to break out the pole and reel a few in again, try your hand at the Fishing Derby. This annual family-friendly event offers awards for the biggest, smallest, and most caught fish in multiple categories.
- When a relaxing evening is more your speed, check out the lineup of Movies and Concerts in Lilacia Park throughout the summer.
- In the larger Chicagoland area, check out the Chicago Blues Festival from June 9-12 to groove to some exceptional tunes and enjoy the sunny weather in Millennium Park.
- Art lovers should consider the Logan Square Arts Fest from June 24-26 to enjoy incredible local art, live music, and street food for a refreshing and exciting outdoor experience.
- Looking for something a little different? Here is a full list of summer events in nearby Chicago this year.
Beat the Heat Indoors
When the heat of a Midwest summer gets overwhelming, cool down with some of these senior-friendly events indoors.
- Foodies will love attending the James Beard Foundation Awards ceremonies to celebrate the best and brightest in the culinary arts and take part in a post-ceremony tasting reception.
- For the culturally inclined, Chicago’s museums offer endless hours of exploration and educational opportunities to keep your mind sharp. Whether you are looking for your fill of art exhibitions at the Art Institute of Chicago, want to spend a little time “under the sea” at the Shedd Aquarium, or want to bask in the history and science at The Field Museum, Chicago has you covered.
- If you’re looking for something a little more local, the Lombard Historical Society offers a plethora of local lore and exciting history as well.
Make the Most of Your Summer in Illinois at Beacon Hill
With our comprehensive amenities, robust social calendar, and focus on wellness, residents of Beacon Hill in Lombard, Illinois have everything they need to enjoy an exceptional summer. Want to learn more about the flower and vegetable gardens, greenhouses, libraries, market and other amenities? Schedule a tour today.