The holiday season is a time of togetherness and sharing. No matter where you live, friends and family gather to enjoy favorite traditions and make new memories. If you recently made the move to a senior living community or are considering a transition to one, there’s no reason you have to give up your holiday hosting.
It may not be the first place you think of for a holiday gathering, but a senior living community offers many benefits and amenities that make them an ideal location for parties.
Here are a few tips for hosting the perfect holiday gathering at a senior living community.
Collaborate with Your Community
The best way to start planning your holiday gathering is by contacting the community directly to get suggestions on how they can help prepare a party space for you. Communities like Beacon Hill recognize the importance of being able to host family and friends, and will work with you to find the best available options to create an enjoyable experience.
Choose the Perfect Setting
Whether you choose to host your gathering in an elegant apartment or a private dining room, there are many wonderful places within a senior community where you can host your holiday party. Here are some you should consider.
- Celebrate in your new home. Your new living space is perfect for hosting the holidays as you always have. Easily transform your spacious living room into a winter wonderland with festive decor, and cook holiday classics in your full-sized kitchen. If you need help preparing your space, be sure to call on your community’s maintenance team for help with small repairs or moving furniture to make room for more guests.
- Reserve a private dining room. If you find that your new space won’t quite accommodate your guests, or want to eliminate the need to cook and clean up, consider reserving a private dining room. These rooms come with benefits like ample seating and table space to accommodate guests comfortably. Remember to reserve private rooms early, as reservations may fill up fast.
- Gather in an auditorium or other common space. If you have a large extended family you’d like to invite, check with a team member at your community to see if there’s a larger space available, such as an auditorium, recreation room or other common space. These larger spaces are great for hosting holiday games and performances. You could even hire a DJ or local band to provide a festive holiday atmosphere.
Finalize Your Feast
Dazzling your family with a delicious holiday feast doesn’t mean you need to spend hours in the kitchen. Encourage family members to bring their signature dishes, or better yet: plan your holiday menu by reaching out to a team member at one of your community’s on-site dining venues. On-site dining services should be able to cater to your needs, or they can share suggestions on local alternatives that can. Less cooking and cleaning up means more time spent with loved ones.
Encourage Old Traditions and Start New Ones
Change can be difficult, especially for younger children who might miss gathering in the family home. To help everyone adjust to the change, encourage the continuance of old traditions and start new ones. Here are a few suggestions for putting a new spin on favorite traditions:
- Encourage grandchildren to come over before the party to decorate your space or dress the tree together
- Have a potluck event where everyone brings a favorite or familiar dish; alternatively, encourage everyone to bring something new this season
- Break out the craft supplies and invite grandchildren to create unique or creative table settings or ornaments
- Incorporate activities like cookie decorating or wreath making throughout the party program
If you have out-of-town visitors, make their stay more comfortable by booking a guest suite at your community. Having your loved ones on-site will let you spend more time together.
More to Explore this Holiday Season at Beacon Hill
Explore all the perks of hosting the holiday season at Beacon Hill. Our team is dedicated to helping residents get the most out of each day, not just during the holidays. We never take a one-size-fits-all approach, and work with each individual to create a custom wellness plan that allows them to pursue their passions.
If you’d like to learn more about Beacon Hill and the lifestyle we offer, contact us today and get the conversation started.