What’s Included in Your Life Care Community Contract
You’re excited to start the next chapter of your life at a senior living community that offers Life Care. You’ve done the research and picked the place that’s perfect for you. Now comes the part where you evaluate your Life Care contract. But what exactly is included in a Life Care contract? Are there specific questions you should be asking about the benefits?
What is a Life Care Contract?
A Life Care contract is a type of agreement that is offered by some continuing care retirement communities. It is a long-term contract that guarantees a certain level of care and services in exchange for an upfront entrance fee and monthly fee that will be determined based on the contract type that you choose.
The main benefit of a Life Care community is that it can provide older adults with the comfort and security of knowing that their future care needs have been accounted for today.
The Benefits of a Life Care Community
As you evaluate your contract, it’s important to keep the benefits of this type of community in mind. Here are some of the reasons that many older adults prefer a Life Care community.
- More security, less stress. One of the main benefits of a life care community contract is the sense of security it provides. Those who choose Life Care know that they will have access to the necessary care and services as their needs change over time, and they don’t have to worry about the added stress of finding new living arrangements or care options as they age.
- Continuing care options. One of the main advantages of a life care community is the range of living and care options that are available. Residents may start in independent living, then move to a higher level of care offered as their needs change.
- Long-term stability. A Life Care community also provides residents with the comfort and security of knowing that their future needs have been addressed today. While your fees will vary based on the contract type you choose, entering into a Life Care contract means you will have already accounted for how and where your care needs will be provided. These decisions will not rest on someone else.
What’s Included in a Life Care Contract?
So, what types of services and amenities are included in your Life Care contract? This will depend on the type of community you choose, but here are some common elements that may be included.
- Accommodations. Your living residence and most utilities are usually included as part of your contracted arrangement. This also generally includes regular maintenance and groundskeeping.
- Select health care services. Many senior living life care contracts include access to on-site medical staff and services, such as an on-call nurse or rehabilitation center. How these services care paid for will depend on your contract type.
- Personal care services. These may include assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing and grooming. The type of care services offered will depend on what’s available in your community. For instance, at Beacon Hill we offer on-site skilled nursing and rehabilitation services.
- Social and recreational activities. Many communities offer a variety of social and recreational activities for their residents. These may include fitness classes, social groups and outings.
- Meal plans. Your contract may include a specified number of on-site meals each day or a flexible meal plan, which can be enjoyed at several dining venues.
- Transportation. Many contracts include scheduled transportation to medical appointments and other errands within a specified radius of the community.
Also be sure to ask precisely what’s included in your contract. Not all of the services and amenities listed will be included with your entrance fee and monthly fee. Some services – like salon and spa services or transportation outside a specified radius – will be available for additional fees.
Note that it’s important to carefully review the terms of your contract before signing. It’s also a good idea to consult with a lawyer or financial advisor to ensure that the contract meets your needs.
Learn More About Beacon Hill
Whatever type of Life Care contract is right for you, the team at Beacon Hill is here to ensure you receive the best care possible and fully enjoy your new lifestyle. We never take a one-size-fits-all approach, and work with each individual to create a custom wellness plan that allows them to pursue their passions.
If you’d like to learn more about Beacon Hill and the lifestyle we offer, contact us today and get the conversation started, or fill in the form below.